How to ride a jet ski in Perth
One of the fastest growing hobbies in Perth is to jump on a jet ski and explore the open waters available on our doorstep, whether it’s the islands near Rockingham or Lancelin, the Swan River or one of our many lakes.
The question is, what are my options for jet skiing in Perth?
Hire a jet ski
Renting a jet ski is one of the easiest ways to be able to ride a jet ski in Perth without restrictions. A hirer with a valid skipper’s ticket can pick up a ski and take it anywhere within WA for a single day, weekend or longer. Jet skiing is a great hobby and hiring one gives you the best of both worlds! Have all the fun while taking the hassle out of cleaning, maintenance and storage.
If you don’t have a skipper’s ticket that’s okay, we have partnered with a local boating school to help you get one, more info here.
When hiring a jet ski it is important to check the hire company has a valid Certificate of Operation awarded by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority. If you ask the company, they will be able to present this certificate. Or an easy way to tell the company has a commercial fleet is by checking the registration number – commercial vessels have a 6-digit number while recreational vessels only have 5.
Benefits of Hiring a Ski
- If you are considering buying a jet ski, hiring one is the perfect way to try before you buy
- A variety of jet skis are available to suit your adventure
- Perfect for people that will only ride a jet ski a few times a year
- No servicing or maintenance for the jet ski or trailer
- No cleaning
- No space taken up for storage
- No insurance costs
- No registration fees for your jet ski or trailer
- No cost and maintenance for safety equipment
Jet Ski Hire Prices
Single day $500 - $700
Weekends (Friday-Sunday) $1,000 - $1,400
Week (7 days of your choice) $1,700 - $2,700
Use code "Weekday" Monday - Thursday for $100 discount
Pricing including GST, trailer hire and all safety equipment.
Buy a jet ski
If you have already fallen in love with life on the water then you may consider buying a jet ski. In fact, multiple sources have reported personal watercrafts / jet ski sales have become the fastest growing sector in boat sales in the last couple of years.
Brand new jet skis will cost between $10,000 and $30,000 depending on which brand and model you decide to purchase.
If you are only going to ride the jet ski a few times a year it may be more cost effective to hire. If you would be a regular user then buying may be a better option for you.
A jet ski and trailer can take up a bit of space in your garage or driveway, and having a trailer lock is best to keep it safe while it is being stored.
Every jet ski has benefits and it’s a good idea to think about what activities you will be undertaking. If you are looking to play about in waves then consider the Sea-Doo Trixx, which is lighter and more mobile in the ocean. If you want to go fishing or travel to Rottnest then the Sea-Doo Fish Pro Sport or Trophy would be ideal.
Most jet skis are fine for towing a wakeboard or donut, but you need to ensure there are 3 seats to allow space for the driver, an observer and the person being towed to be onboard at the same time.
What brand of jet ski should I buy?
There are 3 main brands available – Sea-Doo, Yamaha and Kawasaki (Fun Fact! Kawasaki originally termed the name Jet Ski). Each brand offers their own benefits so we recommend talking to jet ski shops to find out which brand and model of jet ski is right for you. There are several retailers available that will offer you great advice.
Sea-Doo Jet Ski Shops
WA Seadoo in Wangara
Sea-Doo Sport and Leisure in Ascot
Friday's Jetski & Can-am in Port Kennedy
Kawasaki Jet Ski Shops
Perth Kawasaki in Vic Park
Mack1 Motorcycles in Midland
Mack 1 Motorcycles in Wangara
Yamaha Waverunner Jet Ski Shops
Cully’s Motorcycle Centre in Balcatta
Rockingham Boating in Rockingham
If you are wondering which jet ski shoots up water behind it… It’s the Yamaha Waverunner.
Buy a second hand jet ski
If you decide to buy second hand make sure you know what you are looking for:
- Turn the engine on to make sure it starts. The engine can run outside of water for a short period of time or you can connect it to a hose.
- Check the hours and ensure there are no cluster error codes
- Does the steering mechanism work
- Check the hull and mechanisms for damage and wear e.g. bungs, impeller, wear ring etc.
- Check for water or rust visible in the engine bay or exhaust
- Check for salt. If it hasn’t been washed or flushed often salt can build up and cause damage
- Check the PWC and trailer registration
- Check the HIN and year, is it what has been advertised? – you can do this by looking for the last two digits of the Hull Identification Number (HIN) which shows the year of manufacture
- Be careful of putting down deposits before you’ve seen the ski in person – avoid scammers
- Possible questions to ask - Is it flushed after every use, Where do they mainly take it, Is it still under warranty?
Go on a jet ski tour
There are a few jet ski tour operators in Perth and surrounds. Jet ski tours give you a taste of what it’s like to ride a jet ski as you are part of a group in an organised trip, often you don’t need a skippers’ ticket as you are led by a guide under supervision. Tours can range from 30 minutes to 3 hours and you’ll visit interesting locations like the local islands near Rockingham.
- Pricing is around $200 an hour
Hire a jet ski from the beach
Companies offering jet ski tours very often also have the option to hire a jet ski from the beach. This option allows the rider to have fun in a designated area or pen to get the feel for riding a jet ski and are suitable for people who are new to the hobby, but there are restrictions in place such as not being able to take it away to a different location, staying within the eyeline of the hire operator.
- Pricing is around $200 an hour
If all you want is a quick blast around on the water then this may be a good option for you. But if you want a longer experience, tow a wakeboard or donut or go to a different area, you may opt to hire a jet ski for the whole day or weekend instead. When you factor in the price, you can hire a jet ski for the whole day for the cost of 2 hours in a pen.
Whatever you decide to do, you’ll have an amazing ride and will most likely begin your new hobby!